Both hypnosis and hypnotherapy are often questioned and considered when it comes to health care treatment – but what is the difference? According to the American Institute of Health Care Professionals, although each word sounds similar, they have entirely different meanings. To put it simply, hypnosis is a state of consciousness, while hypnotherapy is a form of therapy that involves you and therapist employing a hypnosis technique. We will break them each down into more details here:
- A state of consciousness where your mind becomes receptive and open to questions
- Often happens to us even throughout the day – such as watching a movie, reading an enjoyable book, or daydreaming
- Includes an induction process that moves you into a state of consciousness through positive affirmations and suggestions
- Happens when you are ready to change certain things in your life that need changing
- You can enter this state of consciousness either by yourself or with the help of someone else
- A therapy in which you and a therapist apply a hypnosis technique to try and identify false beliefs with the intention of changing them so that you can improve your life
- Many ways may be involved in this, including stress reduction and relaxation, assistance with managing pain, helping with trauma, coping with procedures, reducing symptoms of disorders and improving the overall well-being of a person
- You must have a therapist to engage in this form of therapy
It is important to note that hypnosis isn’t a therapy in and of itself, according to the American Psychological Association. There has been debate as to the effectiveness of each of these forms of treatment, but many have witnessed positive effects from engaging in them. Hypnotherapy is offered at some treatment centers as a holistic practice to help you gain further insight into your life. One key misunderstanding involves stage hypnosis, which is often used for entertainment and movie purposes. There is a difference between that form and those listed here, which are strictly for life-improvement and self-betterment purposes.
If you’re considering hypnotherapy at a treatment center, call us today. Simple Recovery is a world-renowned, California state-licensed substance abuse recovery treatment program. We believe in holistic recovery, meaning that we provide resources and support to help you restore your mind, body, and spirit. Make the decision to seek help today. Call us at 888-743-0490 for a consultation.