According to the National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence (NCADD), 80% of offenders abuse drugs or alcohol, and approximately 60% of people arrested for most types of crimes test positive for some type of illegal drug. Alcohol and many other drugs have the propensity to increase risky behavior and impulsiveness, decrease a person’s capability to think rationally, and overall make a person more likely to react based on their feelings, even if those actions could cause harm to themselves, others, or property. If you’ve been involved in criminal activity and have struggled with addiction, it’s important that you seek the right treatment center to assist you not only in your legal battles, but also to help you get back to where you need to be.
Despite past criminal offenses and substance abuse concerns, there are many things you can do to promote your recovery and increase your chances of living a happier, healthier lifestyle. Like any major transition, it’s going to require some hard work and change from you – both of which your healthcare team can assist you in doing. It’s important to know what aspects of your recovery should be your most important, as to provide you with the best chances for success. A 2015 study conducted by researchers from Sheffield Hallam University identified a number of key elements that should be emphasized in recovery for optimal outcomes:
- Developing a positive sense of identity through group activities and individual creative endeavors
- Perceiving improvements in physical and mental health and well-being by recognizing what you’ve been doing well in, what your strengths are, and what you have to offer to this world
- Developing positive social networks through your healthcare team, peers in group therapy and other recovery-related activities, friends and family who support your recovery, and more
- Identifying role models, whether it be a recovery leader or your children – someone who can serve as that pushing, motivational factor to keep you going even in difficult times
- A sense of hope and a positive vision for the future – something that you can look forward to as you progress in your recovery
The right treatment center will be able to assist you in all of these elements. If you haven’t already, speak with a professional from a reputable treatment center today. Your life is not over. Recovery is possible, and it’s never too late.
Simple Recovery is a world-renowned, California state-licensed substance abuse recovery center. We offer dual diagnosis treatment, so if you are experiencing both substance abuse and symptoms of a mental disorder, call us today at 888-743-0490 so that we can work with you to restore your happiness, health, and well-being. You do not have to continue living this way; there are many people here ready to help you.