According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), approximately 948,000 people reported using heroin in 2016; heroin use has continued to be on the rise – affecting individuals and communities all across the United States. Celebrities are not shielded from this issue; in fact, many celebrities are offered drugs like heroin as favors to attend major parties and as ways to celebrate. Many celebrities are under much pressure to maintain a certain appearance or to maintain them succeed in acting, music, sports and more, which can cause some to self-medicate with drugs like heroin. People Magazine notes 5 major celebrities who have discussed their struggle with heroin:
- Russell Brand – now 11 years sober, the actor/comedian has opened up about the neutralizing effects that heroin provided him to cover up the pain he was experiencing. He also emphasized the fact that those with addiction become powerless – making support and treatment ever more important.
- Robert Downey Jr. – the action star told The Rolling Stone that he became involved in heroin accidentally – after smoking crack for the first time. He experienced a lot of trouble with the law in the 1900’s, but has now turned his life completely around. He, too, has expressed the intervention is the only way to treat this addiction.
- Corey Feldman – the child star later self-medicated with heroin after going through a troubling breakup, in which Corey felt that he had “tried” everything else, and wanted to see if heroin would help fill the void he was experiencing. In 2013, he told the Huffington Post that heroin really damaged him – he has moved forward with his recovery ever since.
- Courtney Love – the rocker talked about her use of heroin which really got its start with addiction when she partied at Charlie Sheen’s mansion as she worked on her career. She later talked about her attendance to AA and how it’s all about progress – and that’s exactly what she’s focused on.
- Keith Richards – the Rolling Stones guitarist has given up heroin and avers to only using marijuana. He had to stop using heroin because it was causing a lot of damage to his mind, body, and spirit.
If you’ve been struggling with addiction, seek help today by speaking with a professional from a reputable treatment center to learn more about addiction recovery programs. It’s never too late to begin your journey to recovery.
Simple Recovery is a world-renowned, California state-licensed substance abuse recovery center. We offer dual diagnosis treatment, so if you are experiencing both substance abuse and symptoms of a mental disorder, call us today at 888-743-0490 so that we can work with you to restore your happiness, health, and well-being. You do not have to continue living this way; there are many people here ready to help you.